The Techno-geek Diaries

Frequent ramblings of a geeky technical writing consultant in the north of Israel

12 September 2006

The Lull, part 13

Worse than being shipwrecked: I am without email. The tech support gang at [ISP not mentioned to protecting the annoying] have been working on this (we hope) since yesterday. Lots of calls. Lots of finger-pointing. My made-in-Moscow antivirus app is blamed (but not by the Russian-speaking tech support staff). I point out three separate technical details that all place the problem clearly back in their court. (It freaks them out when you talk ports and time-outs with them.) I'm still waiting.

Clearly, being sans-email is worse than being shipwrecked:
  1. When shipwrecked, you are not accessible by cell phone. You don't have people calling you up, asking why you haven't responded to their email, reviewed a report, corrected their homework, etc.
  2. When shipwrecked, you don't have an otherwise-functioning computer staring at you, Internet connection working, all other apps running smoothly, taunting you.
  3. When shipwrecked, you really don't care about getting email.
  4. When shipwrecked, you don't get spammed.
  5. When shipwrecked, you have a pretty good excuse for missing meetings and deadlines.

So I find ways to stay productive and sane. I work on an outline for an upcoming seminar. I catch up on the news. I check a few of my favorite sources. I cuddle Nadine. But mostly, I wait for the tech support guys to call back already! Sheesh!

15 minutes of fame: Or less, even. I send a few can't-believe-you-missed-'em stories to Dave Barry, and one got picked up. Whaddaya know!? Check out Dave's blog to see a link to a story that I already gave you here several days ago! Now doesn't that make you feel news-savvy?

Sanity check: Sometimes it is worth a quick peak at SOMC (Stuff on My Cat) to assure myself that yes, there are other cats out there who are far more obese than Nadine. (Not to mention cat-owners who are far more twisted than me.) And let's not talk about the inability of the site owner to punctuate his way out of a wet paper bag. As always, the quick browse inspires me, and I attempt a simple stack on Nadine this morning. She does not cooperate. Other cat-infested friends have had luck posing and posting their cat pics, but Nadine remains coy.

2 Comments:

At Tue Sep 12, 11:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There a reprint of a very moving - and apposite - piece on 9/11:

JUST FOR BEING AMERICANS . . .

By DAVE BARRY, Herald Columnist

Patricia

 
At Tue Sep 12, 02:51:00 PM, Blogger Zehava said...

Hi Leah,
I just posted a message for your mom. How could I not? She can weild a SWORD afterall. Kol hakavod!

I couldn't help but notice that your site uses a familiar lovely green background. I also noticed that your right-side links appear where they should, at the top of the page rather than floating sadly at the bottom. How'd you do that? I figure I must have unintentionally mucked with some code when I edited the template to add my own links. But so far my troubleshooting efforts have failed.

I'm now going to publish this as a post rather than send it to you in an email you can't get. Ha! We can work around that faulty email.

Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home