The Lull, part 11

Welcome to my normal: On Thursday, before heading down south for the haskara, I decide to tackle some errands on foot. Nothing thrilling: post office, bank, drugstore... But the walk is pleasant, and I am eager to try out the camera function of my new Nokia cell phone. What's the point of new gadgets if you don't play with them? So here is kikar habonim, still looking a bit sad and pockmarked from the shrapnel.
The signs of damage are still evident, despite the city's efforts to spruce things up as quickly as possible. In addition to infrastructure and commercial losses, family financial losses are estimated at NIS 600 million.

Here is eshkol py'is, one of the community centers funded by the national lottery. This is a five minute walk from our house. The windows, smashed when a ketusha landed in front of the building, have not yet been replaced.
Another sign of "normal" is that the roads are back to their usual rate of carnage. Last night's accident near us killed five members of one family. On our way to the kibbutz, we both gasp as a cow wanders out onto the highway. I can't help think about these two events on our drive home...
If you had any doubts: These are not nice people. Saudia Arabia bans dogs and cats. Well, now I really don't want to go there! Meanwhile, today's paper had a front page paper of Merkel and the prime minister of Kuwait strolling along. She was the one wearing pants. OK, I promise not to start teasing their outfits as long as they don't ban pets!
Italian standoff: Livni and D'Alema get together to give Iran an ultimatum.
We still love ya, Tony! Israel gets ready for Tony Blair's visit. This editorial sums up what many of us believe: Blair is paying the price for supporting Israel.
Shake, rattle, and roll: A mild tremor (4.4) hits central Israel. Three continents come together under us, and anyone who understands basic plate tectonics knows what that means.
Stop complaining about my cooking: At least I don't leave knives in the pot for my guests to swallow.
Extreme shoes: I would pay good money to see either of my sisters wear these boots. And walk in them. And not on Purim, either. Any takers?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home