Hibernation
Has it really been four days? I can't believe that I haven't posted since Friday, but yes, it is true. I am feeling like a sluggish old bear who just wants to crawl further back into the cave and sleep for another few weeks. Unfortunately, my work schedule, which is borderline insane, won't allow for any extended shluffs. Instead, I find myself working late, juggling night classes with morning meetings, copying with traffic, and correcting homework while my brain is only partially functioning.
I would have been a great bear.
I start a new in-house course on Sunday, and despite the horrific traffic jams on the way, I arrive in time and find the participants to be a cheery blend of Hebrew, English, and Russian-speakers. They giggle and argue and return after each break (always a good sign).
With each progressive night, the hanukki'ot (menorahs) look more impressive. If you haven't tried burning an oil hanukkiah, it's simple and quite effective. Use olive oil for a clean, smokeless (and odorless) burn. Any small heatproof container works; I have converted nine chunky glass candle holders into a makeshift oil-burning hanukkiah. Each holds about a tablespoon of olive oil. To make a wick, take a cotton ball, pull small piece off, and roll it into a long strip. (Only use 100% cotton, not those nasty synthetic cotton balls!) The wick soaks up the oil and creates a lovely warm light.
Nadine has been making out like a bandit this year. So far, she has scored a new stainless steel water dish, some Japanese freeze-dried tuna, and some tartar-control treats. Unlike me, Nadine is free to spend her days hibernating under her Fluffy Blanky.
The winter blahs also have me craving soft, mushy food. Comfort food. Noodles. Oatmeal. Sachlub. I used to bring my family packets of instant sachlub mix, but the traditional Middle-Eastern dessert is not to their taste. Sachlub is made from orchid bulbs, and has a delicate perfumed scent and an exotic flavor. In the winter, it is served as a hot drink, but the viscous texture grossed out my nephews, causing them to make rude comments about "perfumed whale snot." It is really quite lovely, but clearly not for all palates!
Enjoy your winter, whatever the weather, and have a warm, mushy snack.


1 Comments:
"perfumed whale snot" - wow, that's creative...!
Post a Comment
<< Home