The Techno-geek Diaries

Frequent ramblings of a geeky technical writing consultant in the north of Israel

22 July 2006

Under Fire, part 7

It's de ja vu all over again: Last Shabbat started out lovely and quiet, and then boom!! Same thing this morning. We take a barrage that rattles the windows, makes Nadine's fur stand on end, and sends me scuttling for the security room. No warning, so siren. It takes less than a minute to hear the police and ambulance sirens; but even before that, my phone is ringing. In my haste to get into the security room, I forget to take the phone. No phone?! Unthinkable! No surprise that the instant the barrage ends, I trot back upstairs to grab the phone and a bottle of water, and then scoot back inside the security room. Based on the calls of two friends, we are able to triangulate the strike; mostly, we just want to make sure that everyone is OK.


I scan the Ynet streamer (I already warned you that I am a techno-geek, yes?) and see that it takes them less than 15 minutes to get the news up (check out the time stamp). Two houses hit, two people injured, some treated for shock. It only takes them another 20 minutes to get a full story and pictures up. (These Karmiel photos are from the Ynet site. It is the next neighborhood over from ours.) Kiryat Shemona, S'fat, Nahariya, and Migdal haEmek have all take barrages this morning.


A friend sends me the latest Daniel Gordis article, "The First War, All Over Again," and I get a lump in my throat as I read it. He is a beautiful writer, and he manages to articulate exactly what many of us are feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home