The Techno-geek Diaries

Frequent ramblings of a geeky technical writing consultant in the north of Israel

10 October 2006

The Karmiel Dance Festival

It's that time again: Actually, it isn't. The Karmiel Dance Festival is supposed to take place during July, but as ketushas were raining down on us that week, the festival planners wisely decided to postpone. Now, the weather is cooler, and everyone is ready to party.

Gill and I had tickets for tonight's opening event, the Kibbutz Contemporary Dance Company performing Ekodoom. These guys are one of the older modern dance companies in Israel, but they remain fairly edgy. I'm a reactionary old ballet lover, so all this writhing around on the floor business doesn't really do it for me, but Gill's a big fan, and it is always fun to see superb dancers. I'm not really sure why choreographer Rami Be'er is infatuated with ugly, awkward contortions, or why the music has to be so industrially ugly, and what's with the German punk crap, anyway? But still, it was a good performance.

Tomorrow I'll get my revenge by dragging Gill to a performance of classical Arabic music (and belly dancers). Hey, if you're gonna writhe, you may as well do it wearing sequins. You can read about this and other performances at the festival's website.

North Korea making you nervous? According to South Korea, we are supposed to help take care of this problem. Yikes! I'm not sure we can do anything about that; we've got our hands full stopping terror attacks.

How do you make a geek drool? You come home with a laptop smaller than hers. Damn! Gill's new laptop is darn near half a kilo lighter than mine. I score extra geek points by pulling up the MAC address from the command line and then getting him up and running on our wireless network. It's all smoke and mirrors, guys; I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home