Under Fire, part 36
Day 25: are we getting closer? Last night's announcement that the US and France have a proposed UN resolution for a cease-fire that also recognizes our right to defend ourselves gives me some hope. However, the process of getting a resolution through all the hoops, and then the dubious chance of it being accepted by Hezbullah and Lebanon, means that I shouldn't get my hopes up too high.

In the meantime, we must be prepared to endure more time in our shelters. A friend sends me this picture of the entrance to his buildings bomb shelter and the rather appropriate graffiti that someone added...
What is it all about? Take a look at this short video about some of the more commonly-discussed myths of this war.
The silent victims: Besides the human and economic costs of this war, there are two other victims—the environment and pets. Hundreds of fires have been started by ketushot landing in dry brush, and thousands of pets have been lost and even abandoned as families in the north scramble for safety. While we can rely on the police sapper units to deal with ketushot (they estimate that about 2500 have been found and another 2500 might still be out there), the pets need civilian intervention. CHAI, a wonderul animal protection group in Israel, has been organizing rescue work. You can read more here (there is information at the bottom of the article about making a donation).
The silent readers: Seems that many of you want to leave comments but don't have a blogger account. I've opened the comments to all, so let's see what happens...


4 Comments:
Dear Leah,
I have become addicted to your blog. Are you sure you want to be a TC? Cos this is riveting stuff...
Keep safe, my best to Gill and Nadine.
Lee (still in Netanya and the ketushas are getting closer)
Hi Leah,
It's good to see you both standing tough. When this is over, you can publish the blog as a book, complete with cheesecake recipes and photos of Nadine.
Regards,
Neil
Thank you for opening the comment section of your blog to all of us. You are indeed my eye for the human condition in Israel and I appreciate the time and energy it must take to write and update all of us on the bombings and the human tragedy of this and all wars.
Count me among those who wanted you to open comments.
But now you have, I have nothing to say--just that yours has become the first blog I go to in the morning.
I can't do much from the middle of Canada, but... libi bamizrach--and with you.
Post a Comment
<< Home