Kav Imut, part 13
Oops! (aka: it's about #%$*!! time!!) One of my friends wants to buy this pilot a drink...
Spy novel, anyone? While Frederick Forsyth is best known for his thrillers, he also writes opinion pieces. This one appeared in the UK's Daily Express on 11 August, and is one of the more lucid answers to that idiotic chant of disproportionate force.
Still no pictures: Those bodacious dudes at Blogger have got to get their act together; the server has suddenly become unreliable with regards to picture uploads. I'll keep trying, never fear. I know that you're all dying to see Gill's bike shoes.
Instant usability research: Your vote counts! Add a comment if you prefer links that open in the same browser window, or links that spawn a secondary browser window. If in the same window (the way posts up until yesterday's were), you can select a link, read it, and click the browser's Back button to return to the blog. The problem is that many of the sites that I send you to have plenty of tempting links of their own, so it is all too easy to navigate away from the blog when you're still in the middle of reading it. If it is in another window (as are the links in today's post), you have a lot more control. It's a matter of taste. As one of those geeky types who actually cares about things like usability, design, and MMI (man-machine interface), I honestly want to know your preference. Yes, you can now influence navigational design on someone else's website. The power! The responsibility! The mind-numbing geekiness!
Nadine visits Dr. Ofer: Time for that rabies shot and other vaccines. We wrestle Nadine into her carrier and drive her to the vet. It is a two man job. She moans the whole way. As we're finishing up, Gill asks Dr. Ofer if he has any good cat treats, because we're out. I see the poor doc biting his lip in an attempt to keep from laughing, as in your friggin' cat is grossly obese already, and you want to give her more treats?! Nadine, knowing that I am making fun of her again, is sulking on top of my office cupboards.


5 Comments:
Secondary window!
Secondary window!
S-E-C-O-N-D-A-R-Y!
Secondary, secondary, yaaaaaaaaaay, secondary!!!!
Um... what I meant to say was...
Leah, thanks for asking for input. Here's my two cents:
I prefer a secondary window because that's what I'm used to, so I tend to close the window when I want to return to the referring blog. But then I've closed the window in which I was reading your blog. So I have to open another one and then click on the link in my Favorites list and then I'm saying a lot of rude words.
(I suppose I could save myself one step if I made you my Home page... hmmm).
Language question:
I fussed with "Here's my two cents" in my previous comment.
I thought about changing it to "Here are my two cents," but I wasn't referring to two literal coins but rather to advice that was worth two cents.
So then I thought I would write "Here's my two cents' worth," but that second apostrophe looked very pedantic.
I guess I could have avoided the problem entirely by picking a different expression, but nothing occurred to me in the three seconds I spent puzzling over the conundrum.
So, Teach, what would your solution have been, if I may make so bold as to ask?
Definitely secondary window! Otherwise I'm forever closing the blog or article I was trying to return to.
I also vote secondary window, though I am now acclimated to right-clicking the link and selecting Open in New Window.
CBA: "Here's my two cents." is fine. Now, "right-clicking the link" may be problematic...
Post a Comment
<< Home